Saturday 5 December 2009

Name


Have you ever wanted to change your name? I don't mean when you were about 6 and had ideas of comic book heros and the like. I mean now, at whatever grown up age you have reached? I know that you can do this legally though the circumstances I am thinking of would not lead you down that path……. just down the path of "if I hear that name again" "why is it always her/him?" "perhaps I should change my name to…….. "  All silly stuff, the sort of thing that goes through your head in the wee small hours perhaps, when you're feeling  - hmmmm  how would you have to be feeling………..?


The photo is one from a while ago - I titled it "Crushed"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ann, this is something I have lived with for a long time. My parents called me one name, which family and cousins still do. Then when I went to an all-Irish medium school in the 60s I had to use the Irish language version of my name, which is what most people call me still, and is my preferred name,Máire. When I got married I took on my husband's name, but when we split up, 18 and a half years later, that was the name by which I was known professionally so I kept it. Now that I've remarried, I decided: NO MORE CHANGES. I'm sticking with what I've been known with for over thirty years, though I had to insist that the passport people, the driving license lot, the credit cards and others accept the version I use as opposed to what was on birth certs etc. up to now.
Máire