Sunday 11 July 2010

Material world

We were lucky enough to be able to host a young Kenyan student for a few days last week and what a learning curve it was for us. The whole visit, for him is a trip of a lifetime. Visas are hard to come by and he was refused 3 times but perseverance paid off for him. It is refreshing to meet someone who takes nothing for granted, absolutely nothing!  He missed 2 years of school as his family could not afford the fees (£5 per term) but is starting back in October with his eye set on University. His day to day observations of the world we take for granted have pulled us up sharp on several occasions - "how can such a rich Country have a National Debt?" was quite a telling question........ He has a tremendous work ethic and a desire to help and learn in any situation. Helping in our garden one evening the strimmer had to be forcibly removed from his hands at after 9pm, and this after a day at college and 2 hours at the gym!! When I asked if he felt tired his reply was "to work makes you feel good!"  I think that would be an ideal BillBoard message.................
When we talked about his visit and perhaps a future one he said that he would apply for a visa as soon as he could and "if they turn me down 10 times I will apply for the 11th"  I know very little about his country, far less than he knows about mine, but I do know that if the young people are all as determined as he is, it will prosper.


Em.

1 comment:

lottie said...

I can imagine that was very inspiring. One of my good friends adores Kenya and married a Kenyan. It took her over a year to get him over here even though they were married!

I hope Em gets to come back one day.

Lottie -x-