Wednesday 17 March 2010

Thinking

I've been thinking a lot about my friends, one of whom is going through a very hard time emotionally at the moment. We all get to a stage in life when something's "gotta give". Changes in direction have to be made. Sometimes the path we have chosen turns out to be the wrong one. How we do this depends on so many different factors and also how much support we get from those around us. I have been very lucky in this respect, having had the support of close friends, both near and far, through the difficult times in my life. Some of them may not even be aware of just how much help they have been.
Chicken wire is what I liken friendship to......... I can hear you thinking..... Ann's away with the fairies here!........  but this wire is careful interwoven, joined and rejoined, making a strong but flexible structure. If one or two wires should break or be damaged the rest still hold firm - like a bunch of friends. We all have to be there for each other because that's what friends do.
There was an advert many moons ago -  the catch phrase was "pick up the phone"  If you know someone about to change direction or just in one of life's sticky moments, pick up the phone, rejoin a thread in the chicken wire.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great way of explaining friendship (nothing wrong with those fairies Ann!) The threads on my patch of chicken wire are strong and, I hope, will never break. Support from my friends is what keeps me going, and I hope I can repay that support whenever its needed. x